Are you planning to install hardwood floors in your home? Congratulations, you’re on the right track!
Hardwood flooring can add elegance and warmth to any room. However, it’s essential to know how to properly maintain them, so they last for years to come.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the dos and don’ts of hardwood floors that every homeowner should be aware of. Let’s dive into it!
Table of Contents
The Dos of Hardwood Flooring
Here is a list of all the dos of hardwood flooring that can keep it shiny for years:
- Clean your hardwood floors regularly – Dirt and dust can scratch the surface of your hardwood floors over time, so it’s essential to keep them clean. Use a soft-bristled broom or vacuum with a floor attachment to remove dirt and debris.
- Use furniture pads – Heavy furniture can dent and scratch your hardwood flooring, but you can prevent this by using furniture pads on chair legs, table legs, and other heavy items.
- Trim your pet’s nails – If you have pets at home, make sure to keep their nails trimmed regularly. Long nails can leave scratches on the surface of your hardwood floors.
- Invest in doormats – Placing doormats at every entrance will help reduce the amount of dirt and moisture that comes into contact with your hardwood floors.
- Maintain proper humidity levels – Changes in humidity levels can cause wood flooring to expand or contract, leading to gaps between boards or warping/ cupping issues as well as affecting its original appearance.
By following these dos listed above for maintaining your beautiful hardwood floorings not only keeps them looking great but also extends their lifespan giving more value for money spent towards installation!
The Don’ts of Hardwood Flooring
When it comes to hardwood flooring, there are certain “don’ts” that homeowners need to keep in mind if they want their floors to look beautiful and last for years.
Here are some of the biggest mistakes people make when it comes to caring for their hardwood floors.
- Don’t use water or steam mops on your hardwood flooring. Water can seep into cracks between planks and cause warping or cupping over time. Instead, opt for a dry microfiber mop or a damp cloth for spot cleaning.
- Don’t use harsh cleaners or scrubbers on your hardwood floor as they can scratch and damage the surface of the wood. Stick with gentle pH-neutral cleaners made specifically for wood floors.
- Avoid wearing high heels or shoes with heavy treads on your hardwood floor as they can leave dents and scratches behind. Similarly, keep pets’ nails trimmed to prevent them from scratching up the finish.
- Never let spills sit on your hardwood floor for too long as they can penetrate through the finish and stain the wood underneath. Clean up spills immediately using a soft cloth dampened with water or an approved cleaner.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you’ll be able to protect and preserve your beautiful hardwood flooring investment for years to come.
Hardwood flooring is a beautiful and durable option for any home.
By following the dos and don’ts outlined in this article, you can ensure that your hardwood floor stays looking its best for years to come.
So whether you’re installing new hardwood floors or maintaining existing ones, remember these tips to ensure a long-lasting and beautiful result.